Monday, November 24, 2008

Fleeting Connections

This weekend I attended a School of Worship at the Global Awakening Center in Mechanicsburg. I must say that the teaching and worship were amazing and I've already recommended it to as many as my musically inclined friends and youth as I could. While the course was really great, the most memorable moments for me were the ones where God answered the cry of my heart.

I went into this weekend with a desire in my heart, a desire that doesn't immediately come out of your mouth like "wow, I could really go for a cheeseburger" type of desire. This is one of those unspoken needs that you have but don't consciously know you have. Mine was simple - I wanted to meet a friend. I distinctly remember looking around at all the faces there. I'd smile and be friendly, hoping that they would open up and let me into their little groups. Perhaps I just wanted to have affirmation that I was a worship leader or a good Christian. I really didn't know want I wanted. But I do distinctly remember going home Thursday night a little bummed out and saying to Jaime "I just wanted to make a friend". She told me later in an IM that I'm not as shy as I think. That encouraged me.

Friday came and I left work early to get to the second day of the school. It started at 2 PM and I almost didn't make it. I said "hi" to a few people I had seen the night before, and engaged in some small talk with the woman behind me. But all of this didn't seem to do the trick. I mean, it was just polite and what is expected of good Christian folk. I was still alone and still had that longing, that desire like a little boy getting on the school bus. "I just want to meet a friend daddy".

Then, a young woman sat in the same row as me. We glanced over at each other a few times in an awkward kind of way. I wondered what she was eating and if she liked the color orange. I'm not sure what she was wondering. But I suppose we were wondering if we were really this shallow. Could we honestly sit less than 10 feet apart and not acknowledge each other? Finally I decided that I needed to break out of this shell I've been living in and be outgoing. After all, God commands us to "go" and to be "bold", and frankly the awkwardness was killing me. In a manner almost completely void of suave, I reached out my hand and introduced myself. "Hi, my name is Jason". I was greeted with an eager smile and a firm handshake "Lorena".

Evidently this started something of a snowball effect that God had been planning long before we even arrived that weekend and, probably years in the making for all I know. We started chatting during the lessons and during worship. Interjecting comments and trying to fit in little life experiences whenever we could. It was ten o' clock when the service officially ended. We stayed until eleven just talking, sharing life stories and learning about each other and God's plan. It was just us... and the janitor.

The next day we all arrived back and sat in our "assigned" seats like good ex-public-school students. Again, Lorena and I sat next to each other, this time one seat closer so we could chat some more without excessive straining or leaning. Now by this time you may be wondering about my intentions towards her or vice versa. If you are I'm officially ignoring you. Why? Well, I'm getting there.

Lunch time came and I decided I should be a good host and ask if anyone had lunch plans. After all I lived only 5 minutes away and those around me lived at least an hour away. Lorena said she was meeting a friend for lunch, but quickly told me I was more than welcome to join them. Another gentleman named Scott took me up on my offer. I asked Lorena if that was alright and it seemed like four would be a nice number for lunch. And so, there we were, three relative strangers traveling to lunch with another stranger. This was a strange situation, but strangely it seemed so "right".

Lunch was perfect. I'm not talking about the food, or the atmosphere or any of that. It was absolutely perfect because God was in our midst! We met with Lorena's friend Michelle and just started having church. We encouraged each other, spoke the word of God over each other, read the bible, prayed for each other and for healing. I hardly remember eating! There was testimony and prophecy and prayer and just copious amounts of agape love. It was something that I needed so badly. It was perfect. It was sacred. It was more fulfilling than the tomato pepperjack bread bowl. Yet, this all started from a small spark, a small step of faith, a mustering of courage enough to say "Hi, my name is Jason", and to do so in the name of Christ.

You never know how long you will have that connection with someone. You never know when that connection will be terminated. You need to make the most out of the situation and show the love of Christ and really mean it. There's no reason to hide; there's no reason to be afraid. I'm encouraged by what the Lord is doing in my life. I'm encouraged to see what God is going to do in Lorena's life. But I'm even more encouraged what we can do together! I don't think God is done with us.

And now back to all of you I was ignoring. Don't spoil this. Don't twist this. Don't put even a drop of doubt in my mind or an ounce of curiosity in my flesh. Those are the tools of the enemy. Those are the ways of the world and I rebuke it. What I have now is a friend built on the love of Christ. It is pure and child-like and full of prospect to reap fruit in the Kingdom. I got kicked out of church with this girl for talking too much and we sat out in the coffeehouse and chatted like old friends without so much as a cup of coffee. I know that if someone saw this from afar they would start thinking and scheming. I can even hear the comments "oooh... who was that you were talking to?". Well, if I answer with "go to hell", please realize it's only because you're propagating the lies of Satan and well frankly, that's where he's going anyway.

Here's what I believe people. I believe that God crossed our paths. I believe that nothing happens by accident. We were there for one another when we needed someone outside of our circle of friends and family, when God touched us, when we repented, when we were given new direction and when the dawn in our darkened lives broke. We prayed for each other, and cried with each other, we encouraged and we testified. We are children dancing before our Maker in purity and it is beautiful. It is my goal that this continues. I know there will challenges and troubles, but I take heart because Christ has overcome the world. In Christ, all things are possible and in Christ, this unlikely friendship is probable.